Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Tisha B'Av Mincha at the "Rav Goren Minyan"

The "Rav Goren Minyan" is the code name for the Mincha (afternoon) service held in the Machkema Building adjacent to the Western Wall on Tisha B'Av and Yom Kippur (the Border Police use it all the time). Rav Shlomo Goren zatzal established a synagague there officially in 1977 after some 9 years of it being located in a second-floor room of the Omariyah school [first picture at that site] located on the northern wall of the Temple Mount. Although the window was small, I recall it being a magnificent view as the entire Har Habayit area was opened to us, including Second Temple flagstones that were eventually covered up by trees by the Waqf.

The Machkema building abuts into the Temple Mount but one fooor up above the colonnaded portion all along the Western Wall. So, while in the two rooms one is "inside" the Temple Mount, one is also not at the esplanade level.

Here are some pictures:

1) General view from the second hall looking in (it seats maybe 15 and can get crowded and does get very hot)



2) View from the rear looking east



3) Me at the back door.



4) The sign noting that one is passing the Kotel "on through to the other side"



5) The outer room (in the left-upper corner you can see one of the three windows facing the Temple Mount. They are heavily protected with mesh to prevent things coming in or people going out ;>). One needs get close to get a good view of the esplanade below).



6) My two granddaughters and son-in-law looking out.



7) My two granddaughters and myself




8) And a special bonus. Remember to Police Station and Magen David office at the back of the Kotel plaza? No more. There are digs there now:-

1 comment:

yitz said...

In the "good ole days," BI2 = before the second infant-fada, good ole me was assinged to guard the Machkema, actually on the roof. We had a great view of Har HaBayit!!! Even my kids were allowed to come up to visit, & we took some great pics there.
Anyway, this Miluim was in the summer, & included Tisha B'Av. All of a sudden for Mincha, throngs of people started 'coming up'. Being an "oleh temima," I didn't necessarily recognize all of the "celebs" that perhaps I should have.
To make a long story short, Gershon Solomon came up, & I let him in! I mean, how was I to know? No one alerted me to this; an efficient army would've handed out his picture & tell us not to let him up! So I got a bawling out, but I don't think I did anything wrong!