Friday, October 11, 2013

A Coat Sleeves and Armpits Story

This ad reminded me of a life-experience:





In late summer 1975, my wife and I, and our then two children (we have five), arrived in London to begin a two-year stint as shaliach - administrative and educator emissary - to the local Betar Zionist youth movement.

With the onset of the cold weather, it was decided that I would require a winter coat that was a bit more elegant.

We ended up purchasing one (I think it is still in one of the closets) but not before both my wife and I were extremely puzzled by the fact that the sleeves, at the underarms, were without material and were, for all intents and purposes, holes.

As I remember it, we were informed that since showering/bathing was not expected to be done daily (a local custom?), the holes were there for, well, ventilation and release of unwanted scents.

^

No comments: