Friday, May 07, 2010

I Remember Too

My wife has a post on Gerry Seib who had a recent article in the WSJ.

I remember him, too.

Actually, for some reason, I thought he was Jewish. And only realized he wasn't when he asked me in synagogue why I covered my eyes when saying the Sh'ma prayer.

The following week, his story appeared on the front page of the Wall Street Journal and when I ran into another foreign journalist, he asked me how I managed to have the story turn out so well for the cause of Jewish communities (it was simply neutral and described the reality without a personal agenda).

I told him the secret: Gerry was Roman Catholic and had no hang-ups about religious people with many children (we have five) and was from the mid-west so he wasn't an East Coast liberal.

My wife and I even had dinner together - she worked in Cairo and would come up.

Ah those old days.

1 comment:

Batya said...

Yes, Jerry and his wife invited us to eat. If I'm not mistaken we ate at a kosher Indian restaurant on Shlomzion HaMalka st. Jm.

He stayed in touch until the hostage kidnapping, his.