Sunday, November 23, 2008

Definition Stumper: Embonpoint

Do you know the definition of "embonpoint"?

I didn't.

You're asking for context?

Here:

...few can have anticipated a priest quite as unconventional as the Reverend Teresa Davies.



It wasn’t so much the 37-year-old vicar’s love of motorcycles that scandalised the congregation, nor her penchant for attending parish meetings wearing plunging dresses that left little of her generous embonpoint to the imagination. Her parishioners in Welton, Northamptonshire, were even prepared to make Christian allowance for the fact that she could be late for services and sometimes appeared so tipsy she had trouble standing unaided.


And quotation from the story:

‘My enjoyment of being naked is separate from my religion, but I think God loves us just as much whether we’re wearing clothes or not. I still believe in God and I didn’t feel God was judging me. But I can’t see myself going back to the Church. Right now I would rather put my faith in the tooth fairies than the Church of England.’


Other pics you'll have to go see for yourselves.

Oh, embonpoint means:

plumpness of person : stoutness

"Embonpoint" is most often used to describe people of heavy, but not necessarily unattractive, girth. It derives from "en bon point," a phrase from Middle French that means "in good condition." The word was first used as a noun in English in
the 17th century. It has subsequently appeared in works by Charlotte Bronte ("a form decidedly inclined to embonpoint" -- _Shirley_), James Fenimore Cooper ("an embonpoint that was just sufficient to distinguish her from most of her companions" -- _Home as Found_), and George Eliot ("as erect in her comely embonpoint as a statue of Ceres" -- _Adam Bede_), among others.

1 comment:

T Taylor said...

Awesome.

Thank you.

:)

- Tim Taylor