Saturday, November 10, 2012

From Denial to Peanut Butter

Reported:-

...In a revealing interview with “60 Minutes” Sunday night, the 65-year-old “Lincoln” director opened up on a traumatic childhood filled with anti-Semitism and bullying...his mother, Leah, now 92, told the CBS news magazine that the family often was the targets of vitriol as the only Jewish family in their suburban Phoenix neighborhood.

“These people used to chant, ‘The Spielbergs are dirty Jews,’” she said. “And one night, Steve climbed out of his bedroom windows and peanut buttered their bed room windows, which I thought was marvelous.”

When told by CBS’ Leslie Stahl of his mother’s comments, Spielberg responded, “I guess right now we’re beyond the statute of limitations, so I can’t get sued for vandalism.”

For a long time as a child, he says he was embarrassed of his Jewish heritage.

“I often told people my last name was German, not Jewish," he told Stahl. "I'm sure my grandparents are rolling over in their graves right now, hearing me say that."

If you go to the clip, it starts at 3:45.

Phoenix it was.

^

1 comment:

Alan said...

If he doesn't want to Hebraicize his name that's fine.

But: Spielberg ===is=== a German name.