Thursday, April 05, 2007

One Blog Post Too Far

U.S. county official resigns over Web postings on Israel

(AP) - CANTON, Georgia-An Georgia county official has resigned from her post after criticism over comments she made on her Web site that Israel should be dismantled as a way to achieve peace in the Middle East.

Mary Catarineau, who is on the Planning Commission in the fast-growing Atlanta suburb of Cherokee County, wrote about dismantling Israel in March 22 entry on her Web site, "My Diary With God."

Catarineau also wrote in a March 24 entry that Israel "was artificially created to provide a place for Jews to avoid persecution after the Holocaust. The Holocaust is not going to recur, and Israel has caused nothing but problems. Jews can remain or leave, but give the land back to the Muslims."

Catarineau said she wanted the Internet posts to encourage people to think about different ways to end the violence in that part of the world. "If anything I wrote on the blog was offensive, I sincerely apologize," she said. "That was not my intent."

To avoid escalating the controversy, Catarineau said she was stepping down from her position on the planning commission and from her position on the county's Comprehensive Plan Steering Council.

The posts have been removed from the Web site.


Her apology:-

I said many harsh things about the Jews, yet I said many harsh things about the Muslims, too, which was ignored. For people focus on only what they wish to see. But for peace on Earth, everyone must change, not just one group or the other. But with love in our heart, and tolerance for all, miracles could occur. And I was just trying to get people to stop and think before perpetuating an endless war. So I’ve said my piece, and I will go on to create joy in my life. Yet it is with sadness in my heart that all was misconstrued for what I said and thought. But such is the way of man, woman, too, when hatred exists and prejudice, too, for one or another. For we think we can love only a select few, lovers, friends and spouses. And as long as we think so selectively, there will never be peace. For love itself takes many forms, yet strangers, too, can be loved. All it takes is unconditional love, exemplified through acceptance and tolerance. For all are different, yet all the same. God’s child are we. Made from different cloth, it’s true, but hearts that beat the same. So I hope in my lifetime I will see peace between the Arabs and Jews. Because if they can evolve to become all they can be, then there will be peace on Earth.

No comments: