Thursday, January 25, 2007

Quakers Beat Up Pals. - No, Really

Palestinians beaten at Guilford College

Three football players at Guilford College, a school with a Quaker background, face assault and ethnic intimidation charges after an attack on three Palestinian students, authorities said.

The victims were beaten with fists, feet and brass knuckles early Saturday by attackers who called them "terrorists" and used racial slurs, the News & Record of Greensboro reported Tuesday.

School officials believe about 12 people were involved in the altercation, Nic Brown, spokesman for the college in Greensboro, told The Associated Press. Administrators were still trying to determine whether some were fighting or trying to break it up, Brown said.

A school statement said the altercation, in a campus courtyard, lasted less than five minutes. The students involved were acquaintances without a history of conflict, and at least some of them were under the influence of alcohol, the school said.

Two of the students who were attacked, Faris Khader and Osama Sabbah, are students at Guilford. The third, Omar Awartani, is a student at North Carolina State University in Raleigh who was visiting.


I sympathise.

At the age of 3.5 in the Bronx, I was beaten up and an attempt was made to steal my tricycle while I was in the courtyard of P.S. 75 while I was being called "dirty Jew".

This was my second most early remembrance of my life.

I never thought of changing my status of Jew but I always tried to be clean ever after.

No comments: