Sunday, January 07, 2007

I Guess He Feels a Bit Guilty

Retiring High Court Justice Aharon Barak answers critics a fortnight after issuing his final ruling:'I am not a post-Zionist, but a Zionist with every fiber of my being'

Two weeks after stepping down as President of the High Court of Justice, Aharon Barak allowed himself on Thursday to respond to the criticism directed at him throughout his tenure and especially after ruling that Palestinians can sue the state of Israel for damages. Speaking before a conference audience at the Bar Ilan University in Tel Aviv Barak told the crowd: "It is important for me to state in this university that I am not a post-Zionist, but a Zionist with every fiber of my being."

Conference-goers said that Barak's emotional statements came after other conference speakers excoriated the former Justice. "I have always believed that criticism is welcome," said Barak, "but not disparaging criticism. Criticism that comes from understanding, the kind that stems from understanding, that means to better the situation."

No comments: