Thursday, November 08, 2012

Gideon Levy Hates...and Loves

I found this at INN:-


Gideon Levi: I Hate 'Settlers,' and I'm Proud of It

Veteran Ha'aretz editor Gideon Levi talked about his feelings about the Jews of Judea and Samaria. Bottom line: Levi hates them.

First, here he is with his Swedish live-in volunteer, for the past 6 years, 22-years his junior, Catrin Ormestad:



who has even been published in Haaretz.

Now, what does he think and say?
“It's not just that they bother me. I actually have feelings of hatred towards them,” Levi proudly told Globes. “I am a very emotional person. They embarrass me, they mock me, they devalue me with the things they do, with their very presence.”
...“I was a good boy who did everything properly. In high school I was the most well-behaved kid in the world. But in my travels I began to write about the occupied territories and what I saw there...There was something dramatic and serious going on, and nobody was writing about it,” Levi said. “There grew up a phenomenon in Israel of sweeping things under the rug. Nobody was covering the occupation. Since I do not see myself as part of the choir and do not like to do what others do, I said to myself that if there is something major going on that no one else is covering, that is where I should be.”
...[my attitude to Jews living in Judea and Samaria] “is obviously a personal reaction. There are many things that I detest, and I do not hide it. I believe that they are immoral. There is no way I can find a way to communicate with them, to come to a meeting of the minds.”

Actually, he is such a loving person:



even playful:



The original Hebrew from the Lady Globes profile:


 "הייתי ילד טוב תל-אביב, בתיכון הייתי הילד הכי טוב בעולם. אבל בנסיעותיי נחשפתי לשטחים ולמדיניות הכיבוש, והתחלתי לכתוב על מה שראו עיניי. לאורך השנים ראיתי הרבה זוועות שעיצבו את העיתונאי שהנני".
- מה משך אותך ללכת דווקא לשם?
"הבנתי שמתרחשת כאן דרמה גדולה ורצינית, שכמעט ולא כותבים עליה. צצה תופעה ישראלית שמנקים מתחת לשטיח, ואין כמעט אף אחד אחר שמסקר את הכיבוש. מאחר ואני לא אוהב מקהלות ואני לא אוהב להיות איפה שכולם נמצאים, אז אמרתי לעצמי: גם דרמה גדולה וכל-כך גורלית, וגם אין שם אף אחד כמעט, זה המקום בשבילי להיות בו".
- זו בחירה שדורשת מעורבות רגשית גבוהה.
"היו בי הרבה רגשות אשם חזקים ורגשות בושה מאוד גדולים - מה שתמיד מוכיח את מידת הפטריוטיות שלי. אני נורא קשור למקום הזה, ובגלל זה אני כל-כך מתבייש ולוקח את הדברים בצורה קשה. הייתי במקומות אחרים וראיתי זוועות, אבל לא לקחתי את זה כל-כך קשה, כי אותם מעשים נוראיים לא נעשו בשמי".
- התביישת בנו?
"המון פעמים. אני מרגיש בושה נוראית".
- הביקורת הכי גדולה עליך היא שאתה מזדהה איתם יותר מדי ושוכח אותנו.
"אני כותב על מה שאני רואה בצד הפלסטיני, אבל אני מדבר עלינו ואני כותב עלינו. אני כותב על איך שאנחנו מתנהגים, כי רק אנחנו מעניינים אותי. אני ממש לא מזדהה איתם ואין לי כמעט חברים פלסטינים. אני לא מטיף, אני מספר לכם הישראלים 'תדעו לכם, הדברים האלה נעשים בשמכם'".
- המתנחלים מפריעים לך.
"לא רק שהם מפריעים לי, יש לי רגשות שנאה אליהם, מכיוון שאני בחור מאוד אמוציונלי. הם מביישים אותי, הם מבזים אותי בדברים שהם עושים ובעצם הנוכחות שלהם. ברור שהתגובה מאוד רגשית. אני מתעב הרבה מאוד דברים, ולא מסתיר את זה. אני חושב שהם לא מוסריים, ואני לא יכול למצוא שפה משותפת איתם".

^

No comments: