Friday, September 18, 2026

Lena, the New Pro-Palestine and Anti-'Settler' Film

Alerted through Instagram, I discovered a new pro-Palestinian film.

Lena.*

Lena is an ewe.


Like the one:



The synopsis of this 'morality' tale:

In the mountain of Ramallah, eleven-year-old Adnan mourns the unjust arrest of his older brother Saif, who was illegally arrested on the fake accusation of throwing rocks at the Israeli army. Adnan spends weeks in solitude, unable to enjoy himself, but his spirits finally lift when given ownership of a newborn lamb born on his family’s farm, whom he decides to name Lena. Adnan and Lena become inseparable, spending every waking moment together, until Lena is stolen from him in the middle of the night by cruel Israeli settlers who wish to destroy his family's livelihood. 



Despite his father’s warnings, Adnan decides to sneak onto the settlement in hopes of getting his beloved Lena back and finds himself a witness to their savage way of life along the way. Representing Palestinian innocence, Adnan teaches us that Palestinian resistance will always defeat those who wish to destroy it.

The trailer is here. It's a  a UCLA senior capstone film.

From the credits:


And this is the writer/director Maya:



Just a comment or two.

"Saif" may not have thrown rocks in the film, but in real life, thousands of his felllow Arab youth do. And not only do the do damage and injure but their rocks kill.

Moreover, as I have been following the "settler violence" theme, in most of the cases involving livestock, Arabs have initiated poisonng water sources as well as leaving posioned food in the garzing fields. In addition, in many cases, sheep and goats, even entire herds, of Jewish shepherds have been stolen.

Oh, and an observation of dress: no Arab peasant woman out by us would dress like this:

And the other hand, here is that actress, Ghazellé, in other apparel:





In this field of liberated Arab feminism (I do not know if either of the ladies above are Muslim or Christian and I do not deny her the right to appear in public as she wishes), I doubt we could find a female "settler" woman similarly attired for the role of a youthtop girl/woman.

Incidentally, Ghazelle lives in LA so I wonder where the film was shot.

Perhaps we need a Jewish/Israeli producer to put something on nthe screen to balance this?

_____

*  I checked. Lena, in Arabic, means "tender," "soft," "delicate" and appears in the Quran, symbolizing grace and gentleness.

But see her creation here, which she entitled “ISRAELI FAMILY PHOTO” by Maya Abdallah and explained:

I created this mock israeli family portrait based on the European colonial migrants in “israel” who co-opt and rename Arab culture. Despite their tremendous efforts, it always appears unnatural on them - almost alien, highlighting the disconnext between their imposed identity and the authentic culture they attempt to mimic.

#netanyahuispolish

Description:
Three israeli aliens pose for a family portrait in their Arab style home. A plaque that reads “Am yisrael chai” (the people of israel)

Not very tender.



^

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

No such a thing as "pro palestine, " it's either anti Israel or broadly anti Jewish. Nobody cares about Arab Palestinians.

Anonymous said...

Nithya Raman: "progressive" propaganda. Sep 29, 2026

Earlier, “progressive” LA mayoral candidate Nithya Raman used the "genocide" slur with Hasan Piker.  Appearing on Sep 29, 2026 in a Jewish forum by the Jewish Federation, Raman was asked whether she would appear with someone who was anti-Christian or anti-Muslim, as she had appeared with the antisemitic Hasan Piker. She said yes, explaining that “we need to hear a wide variety of opinions.”  So she was asked about her use of the word “genocide.”  She answered, “I’m not an expert on this term, but I’ve seen experts calling it a genocide. I looked it up, and I’ve seen experts and Israelis use it.” She then added that she had condemned October 7—but she did not apply the “G-word” to October 7.

Anonymous said...

Rahm Emanuel says Democrats must ‘prove we can bring change’ amid ‘brand problem’: Full interview.
NBC News. Oct 4, 2026.
[...]
KRISTEN WELKER:
We are back with Ambassador Emanuel. I want to start this part of the conversation talking about one of the biggest discussions inside the Democratic Party as it relates to Israel. It's a discussion that's being fueled by a number of candidates, including Michigan Senate candidate Abdul El-Sayed, who said he believes the Israeli government is committing a genocide[SIC] of Palestinians in Gaza. Do you see what is happening in Gaza as a genocide[SIC]?

RAHM EMANUEL:
So, as you know, Kristen, back in 2009, when I was President Obama's chief of staff, I confronted the prime minister directly. I didn't realize that the policies by the Israeli government would lead to perpetual conflict and also perpetual isolation. Back in June, I went to Israel to deliver a full speech about how to do peace, two-state solution, and to make sure the United States taxpayers weren't funding the State of Israel—a comprehensive approach to Israel.

I believe both in the alliance, but the United States has fought two wars in that region. I don't want to fight a third war, and I believe we need to have a fundamental change in policy, that the status quo is not sustainable. I have been, unlike others, going back 18 years ago. I didn't need a war to know this was a policy that led to a perpetual conflict. This has to change for the alliance, and if you're going to keep the alliance, which I happen to think is important for our policies in the Middle East, it has to change the dynamics and the whole structure of it.

I happen to also know, to the core of your question, the question of genocide is a historic question, going all the way back to Professor Lemkin in 1942, all the way back to the Nuremberg Trials. If you're going to use that term, we have to have a conversation about Sudan. We have to have a conversation about Ukraine. We have to have a conversation about the Ukrainians and Cambodia. You are politicizing a term that has huge and historic moral obligations. I have no problem having that conversation, but the fact that a questioner ignores Sudan that's happening today, ignores Ukraine that's happening today, tells me more about the questioner than what the answer will reveal.

Let me ask you this, because given El-Sayed's decision, saying how complex this issue is, will you endorse—

Yes. It's a complex issue.

Will you endorse El-Sayed given that position?

We have massive disagreements. I support the Democratic Party. I support the Democratic candidate. I'll be going to Michigan again to help the gubernatorial party...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IluLnr28EfE