New Israeli plans to link West Bank settlements to first "settler city"
Friday, 27 August 2010 11:35
Media reports in Israel have revealed plans for a new scheme to link a number of illegal settlements in the West Bank with the city of Petah Tikva in the part of Palestine taken by Israel in 1948.
Petah Tikva, by the way, was swamp land purchased back in 1878:-
Petach-Tikva was founded in the year 1878 by a group of pioneers from Jerusalem,who three years earlier had founded the society "Work the soil and redeem the land" with the aim to redeem the land from its aridity, and the people from having to eat charity bread from the "Distribution" of those days. The three men to take the initiative from Jerusalem, in founding Petach-Tikva,were: Rabbi Yoel-Moshe Salomon, Rabbi David Gutmann and Yehoshua Stampfer...In 1937 Petach-Tikva received the status of a city.
And here, too:-
Originally intending to establish a new settlement in the Achor Valley, near Jericho, the pioneers purchased land in that area. However, the Turkish Sultan cancelled the purchase and forbade them from settling there, but they retained the name Petah Tikva as a symbol of their aspirations.
Undaunted, the settlers purchased a modest area (3.40 square kilometers) from the village of Mulabbis (variants: Mlabbes, Um-Labbes), near the source of the Yarkon River. The Sultan allowed the enterprise to proceed, but because their purchase was located in what was a malarial swamp, they had to evacuate when the malaria spread, founding the town of Yehud near the Arabic village Yehudiyya about 20 kilometres (12 mi) to the south. With the financial help of Baron Edmond de Rothschild they were able to drain the swamps sufficiently to be able to move back in 1883, joined by immigrants of the First Aliyah, and later the Second Aliyah.
We cannot win with such a semantic war waged against us.
- - -