Sunday, September 23, 2018

On Disproportionality - on British Television

I think I found an early reference to the fiendish "disproportionality" blame against Israel.

I am sure if I went back to the 1950s and review the diplomatic chatter, it would be there too but this one is from an episode of "Yes, Prime Minister" entitled "A Victory for Democracy".

I've included some of the rest from the script as it was just delightful:

The Arabs have put down a motion at the United Nations condemning Israel.


- Naturally, we'll vote on the Arab side.


- Naturally.


- But I gather the PM wants us to abstain.


- Surely not! Why?


- Something about the PLO starting it this time, faults on both sides.


- Sentimental nonsense.  Sucking up to the Americans, as always...



... - I gather we're proposing to vote against Israel in the UN tonight.


- Why?


- They bombed the PLO.


- But the Israelis dropped more bombs!


- The PLO started it!


- No, they didn't.


- It seems to me there are faults on both sides.


- Not according to my advice.


- America is worried. They want us to abstain.


- I don't think we could do that. The Foreign Office wouldn't wear it.


- Are they here to follow our instructions or are we to follow theirs?


- Now, don't be silly...



...- Then there's the U.N. vote on Israel tonight. The Americans want us to abstain. It's a question of maintaining our relationship with the Arabs. The power of Islam. Oil supplies.


- I'm talking about what's right and wrong.


- Well, don't let the Foreign Office hear you.


- If you insist on an even-handed approach, the Foreign Office might agree to abstaining, so long as you authorise our man there to make a powerful speech attacking Zionism.


- Surely we should promote peace, harmony, goodwill.


- Well, it would be most unusual.


- The U.N. is the accepted forum for the expression of international hatred...



...- Luke! Have you read this? We voted against Israel in the U.N. last night!


- Yes, Prime Minister.


- But I gave express instructions to abstain.


- I think not.


- I said I felt very strongly that we should not take sides.


- The Foreign Secretary noted your feeling.


- But did nothing about it!


- With respect, he did. He asked our U.N. ambassador if we should consider abstaining.


- What did HE do?


- He said no.


- You mean the Foreign Office can simply ignore the Prime Minister?!


- Certainly not, Prime Minister. They take full account of you when coming to their decision, but events move rapidly. There were important factors in our relationship with the Arabs that were not known to you when you took your view. We couldn't get through to you in time.


- I am on the phone, you know.


- It wasn't sufficiently important to wake you.


- It was! The White House will do its nut!


- You could be telephoned before every U.N. vote, but there are two or three a night.


- What can I do to reverse this?


- Nothing.


- That would be most embarrassing. Once stated, policy can't be retracted.


- I'd like to talk to the Israeli ambassador.


- I think not, Prime Minister.


- I want to talk to the Israeli ambassador.


- If I may say so, it would be rather unwise.


- Luke! Can you hear me? Watch my lips! I want to talk to the Israeli ambassador! 


- Of course, Prime Minister, if that is your wish. I will contact the Foreign Secretary and then telephone..


- I don't want the Foreign Secretary!


- Prime Minister, it would be most improper to see him without the Foreign Secretary present.


- Why? What do you think I want to talk about?


- Presumably the vote at the U.N.


- That would be most improper.


- Oh.


- My daughter Lucy wishes to spend her next long vacation on a kibbutz. Or I should say, as she's at the University of Sussex, another kibbutz.


- I see


- The ambassador and I were at the LSE. I thought I'd invite him to the flat tonight for a drink.




^
N.
last night! - Yes, Prime Minister.
- But I gave express instructions to abstain.
- I think not.
I said I felt very strongly that we should not take sides.
- The Foreign Secretary noted your feeling.
- But did nothing about it! With respect, he did.
He asked our U.
N.
ambassador if we should consider abstaining.
- What did HE do? - He said no.
You mean the Foreign Office can simply ignore the Prime Minister?! Certainly not, Prime Minister.
They take full account of you when coming to their decision, but events move rapidly.
There were important factors in our relationship with the Arabs that were not known to you when you took your view.
We couldn't get through to you in time.

Read more: https://www.springfieldspringfield.co.uk/view_episode_scripts.php?tv-show=yes-prime-minister-1986&episode=s01e06
Anything else? Yes, I gather we're proposing to vote against Israel in the UN tonight.
Why? - They bombed the PLO.
- The PLO bombed Israel.
- But the Israelis dropped more bombs! - The PLO started it! - No, they didn't.
- It seems to me there are faults on both sides.
- Not according to my advice.

Read more: https://www.springfieldspringfield.co.uk/view_episode_scripts.php?tv-show=yes-prime-minister-1986&episode=s01e06

No comments: