Friday, December 24, 2004

The Pervasiveness of Bias

As the NYT's correspondent Greg Myre reports, Arabs of the Palestine Authority voted in "orderly municipal elections" and that "the turnout was large and the voting went smoothly, with no major glitches or security problems reported" ("Palestinian Voting Is Held Without Serious Incident", Dec. 24, 2004).

This reality, of course, highlights the falsity of the media-hype that was generated by PA spokespersons seeking to accuse Israel, aforehand, as interfering with the process of democratization upon which a peace depends. Israel, they succeeded in doing, is first guilty and when proven correct, no one remembers. This tactic is successful, too often, due to the bias that has crept into Western thinking as Senator Charles Schumer pointed out in his own letter published on the same day.

(One sentence in your Dec. 18 editorial "Timely Help for the Palestinians" betrays the subtle and inherent bias against Israel that pervades too much of Western thought. When supporting the removal of Israeli checkpoints in the West Bank and the Gaza Strip, you write, "While those checkpoints have undoubtedly reduced the number of attacks by suicide bombers, they have made it virtually impossible for average Palestinians to move freely, whether going to the polls or simply trying to go to work."

Doesn't it make sense that Palestinians should be required to eliminate the suicide bombers
in their midst before Israel is forced to open checkpoints? What other nation would be asked
to put the ability of its adversaries to move freely over the need to protect the lives of its people?

Charles E. Schumer, U.S. Senator from New York
http://www.nytimes.com/2004/12/24/opinion/l24schumer.html

11 comments:

business process management group said...

This is just another reason why I like your website. I like your style of writing you tell your stories without out sending us to 5 other sites to complete the story. Please come visit my site bpm business process management when you got time.

capital asset management said...

I can see that you are an expert at your field! I am launching a website soon, and your information will be very useful for me. Thanks for all your help and wishing you all the success in your business. Please come visit my site asset management services give me any valuable feedbacks.

catering said...

love your blog! Very cool! Please come visit my site take out when you got time.

beauty hair salon said...

You owe a very nice and interesting blog. Feel free to check out my site nail salons when you got time.

China Pashmina said...

I enjoyed reading your work! GREAT post! I looked around for this… but I found you! Anyway, would you mind if I threw up a backlink from my site? Please come visit my site jewelry when you got time.

wholesale gift said...

As a Newbie, I am always searching online for information that can help me. Thank you. Please come visit my site home accent give me any valuable feedbacks.

Unknown said...

I just read your post , it was fantastic. I just checked out your blog, your all posts are really mind blowing.

SEO Company

Iowa Bankruptcy Attorney said...

What a great post, I actually found it very thought provoking, you just never know sometimes when a golden nugget of information is going to land at your feet, thanks
San
Antonio Broker Dealers Directory
, San
Diego Broker Dealers Directory
, Dallas
Broker Dealers Directory
, Detroit
Broker Dealers Directory
, San
Francisco Broker Dealers Directory
, Atlanta
Broker Dealers Directory
,

Kansas Bankruptcy Attorney said...

A fantastic read….very literate and informative. Many thanks….what theme is this you are using and also, where is your RSS button ?

Atlanta
Bond Capital
, Miami Bond Investment, Philadelphia Bond Investment, San
Antonio Bond Investment
, San
Diego Bond Investment
, Dallas
Bond Investment
, Detroit
Bond Investment

Divorce Lawye said...

There are certainly a lot of details like that to take into consideration. That’s a great point to bring up. I offer the thoughts above as general inspiration but clearly there are questions like the one you bring up where the most important thing will be working in honest good faith. California
Immigration Lawyer
, Colorado
Immigration Lawyer
, Connecticut
Immigration Lawyer
, Delaware
Immigration Lawyer
, Alabama Divorce Lawyer, Alaska
Divorce Lawyer
, Arkansas
Divorce Lawyer
, California
Divorce Lawyer
, Colorado
Divorce Lawyer
,

dispute attorney said...

Me & my neighbour were preparing to do some research about that. We got a good book on that matter from our local library and most books where not as influensive as your information. I am very glad to see such information which I was searching for a long Connecticut
Divorce Lawyer
, Delaware
Divorce Lawyer
, construction
defect attorneys
, construction
law attorneys
, construction
litigation attorney
, construction
litigation attorneys
, construction
dispute attorney