Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Dr. Michael Rosenak z"l

My instructor in Jewish religious and Zionist thought and philosophy during my year in Israel 1966-1967 at the Machon L'Madrichei Chutz La'Aretz, Michael Rosenak, has passed away at the age of 81.

He was brilliant, challenging and a friend to us upcoming leaders of youth movements.



Professor Rosenak was on the founding team who established the Mandel Jerusalem Fellows in 1981 and was a central driving force in the formation of the unique educational ethos of the Fellows Program. 

He was a member of HaShomer HaDati and made Aliyah in 1958.

His six points that "lay foundations for a comprehensive religious Jewish education" are knesset Yisrael (the community of Israel), adam (existence), bnai Noach (humanity), hod (problem-solving), chochmat lev and hiddur (beauty), and da'at (understanding).

On the Machon program, his introspections into Franz Rosensweig were riveting. 

And I thank him for tolerating my Betar outlook.

^

1 comment:

AM said...

I thought he was the most brilliant man I'd ever heard. I used to come to your classes even though I wasn't supposed to be there just to hear him talk about Rosensweig and Jewish History - and whatever topic he would discuss - made you think about issues in another way. I have such good memories about him and his classes. Truly an inspiration.
Baruch Dayan Emet