Monday, August 13, 2007

Hillel Weiss' Apology

"From the remarks and the curses quoted in the media it may seem that I have bad feelings toward the soldiers who sacrifice their lives for the resurrection of the nation and the land," Weiss wrote in a letter to IDF Chief of Staff Gabi Ashkenazi and Police Commissioner Dudi Cohen.

"Without going into the events and the many details of what happened, including before I even spoke, I am sorry for stooping to such a level of curses in the remarks I made, and I regret these remarks.

"I myself was a paratrooper and a soldier in elite units," Prof Weiss noted. "I wish all the soldiers and all the people of Israel and all the residents of this country and region complete safety, and not destruction God forbid," he concluded.

He clarified, however, that "for the avoidance of doubt, under absolutely no circumstances do I regret my religious Jewish ideological views. The rights of the Jews in Israel are inherent, holy and must not be harmed.

"The IDF is not an occupier in its own country and cannot treat its countrymen as enemies. And in any event, I will continue to voice my opinions and fight for them."

No comments: