Wednesday, August 17, 2005

Self-Incitement?

According to this Haaretz report, PM Ariel Sharon might find himself being blamed for incitement to violence. Who knows? With the current atmosphere as it is and with the media as it is and with an Attorney General as he is, democracy is a very fragile tool in the hands of those who either don't understand what the rights of free speech and free expression are, or, worse, seek to selectively pervert it from political and ideological persuasions.

Here, read for yourselves his words and how President Katzav quickly tried to correct him:-

"I want to truly appeal to everyone, not to attack the police, the women and men soldiers and police. Don't blame them. Don't make it hard on them. Don't hurt them, hurt me."

Referring to his disengagement plan, said "I am responsible for this. Hurt me. Blame me. Don't hurt the soldiers and police who are in any case in a state of distress."

Katsav then interjected, saying that Sharon intended to say "'Criticize me,' not 'hurt me.'"

No comments: