Thursday, March 06, 2008

Something Else Entirely

An S.E.E. post is one that has nothing to do with politics, ideology, Zionism, Israel, antisemitism, media ehtics or whatever else I usually am involved with at this blog.

So, I am at the ATM of Bank Leumi next to the HaMashbir in the center of Jerusalem.

In front of me is a Frenchman, who is talking to another Frenchman in the line next to us.

He walks up to the machine, attempts twice to extract cash and fails. He calls over the other Frenchman, who also fails.

And then, the first Frenchman, realizing that he is not going to succeed at this moment in time to extract cash, utters an expletive.

"Sh*t", he says, in a French accent, that is, the "i" sounding "ee".

And it took all of my self-control to contain my laughter.

Since the age of 15, when I first studied French, I prided myself in uttering the expletive "merde" as a symbol of my high culture show-offiness. And now, at this critical occasion, the Frenchie utters the American term.

Oh, woe!

No comments: