Tuesday, January 17, 2017

Needed: A Commemoration Plaque

While doing some research, I came across a letter written by Ze'ev Jabotinsky to the HQ of the Jewish Legion in London at the end of October 1917 while he was with his troops in England:





I found out that while Chenies Street 






is marked by some memorials and history, the fact that the Jewish Legion HQ was at 22 Chenies Street is not marked.

I think a small plaque along the lines of:

During World War I, a building at 22 Chenies Street
served as the Headquarters for the Jewish Legion,
a force of over 5000 Jews who served in the
Royal Fusiliers and fought in Palestine 1918

Isn't that a grand idea?

Who, then, will help?

_____________

P.S.


By the way, as I included in a previous blog post, there is a film clip and it would be wonderful if the building Patterson stands in front at around 1:30 and at 2:12 Jabotinsky appears was that Chenies Street building.





Is there anyone who could check newspaper archives and see if there was a report which mentions the parade which took place on Monday February 4th 1918?

It may have been The Pavillion Theatre in Mile End Road (which actually stood at 193 Whitechapel Road, near the corner with Vallance Road).

^

1 comment:

Shtrudel said...

I think the first step would be to get permission for such a plaque...

The second step would be a "go-fund-me" or similar campaign....

A plaque shouldn't cost too much... I'm pledging $18.00...