Wednesday, April 09, 2014

A "Greenberg" Comment on Jewish Self-Hatred

From the script of the movie "Greenberg":-


...BELLER 
She and Steven are getting a divorce.
JOHNO
They were a cool couple.
BELLER
(looks at Greenberg)
Come to think of it he’s kind of a 
less Jewish looking version of you.
GREENBERG
Less? I’m not even...I’m only half. 
BELLER
But you’re doing this.
Beller holds his hands about a foot apart 
and shakes them, imitating Greenberg’s
previous gesture. Johno laughs.
GREENBERG
What’s...I’m thinking small...I’m...
(trying to figure out what he did)
Is this a Jewish gesture?
Beller shrugs. Johno laughs. 
GREENBERG
(to Johno)
Beller, always with the self-hatred.
JOHNO
You kidding, have you been to one of 
Eric’s Seders?
Eric gave trees to Israel.
BELLER
Am I not allowed to make a joke about it?
GREENBERG
No, I know, I’m just saying since you 
said “less Jewish looking...” Because 
people think I look Italian. And 
since my mom was Protestant I’m 
actually not Jewish at all. 

^

No comments: