Tuesday, March 19, 2013

An Olive Tale

Rebecca Vilkomerson of the vicious "Jewish Voice for Peace" suggests




It's a "Symbol of Hope", she says. A Statement on Your Seder Plate.  "The olive tree is a universal and ancient symbol of hope and peace."


I left this comment there:


First of all, regards from Shiloh, a community I think you know well.
Second, an olive is not a bad idea. It reminds me of the annointing of the High Priest when we had a Temple ("
And the priest that is highest among his brethren, upon whose head the anointing oil is poured" Leviticus 21:10). It reminds me of the moral ethical measurement standard (kezayit) which people of JVP blur all the time.
Third, it reminds me of all the olive trees the Arabs have destroyed here in Shiloh Bloc.

Fourth, it reminds me of the supreme value of the Land of Israel, "a land of wheat and barley, and vines and fig-trees and pomegranates; a land of olive-trees and honey;" (Deuteronomy 8:8), the Land conquered and occupied by Arabs in 638 CE.


^

No comments: