Saturday, March 19, 2011

Who's Your Favorite?

From 'The Paris Wife’ by Paula Lain found here:-

The next morning, I walked into the kitchen to find Ernest leaning lazily against the refrigerator, reading the morning newspaper and devouring half a loaf of bread.

“What do you mean to do?”

“Make literary history, I guess.”

“Gee,” I said, impressed all over again by his confidence and conviction. You couldn’t fake that. “What are you working on now?”

He pulled a face. “Now I’m writing trash copy for Firestone tires, but I mean to write important stories or a novel. Maybe a book of poetry.”

He came over to join me at the table, turning his chair around to straddle it. “Who’s your favorite writer?”

“Henry James, I suppose. I seem to read him over and over.”

“Well, aren’t you sweetly square?”

“Am I? Who’s your favorite writer?”

“Ernest Hemingway.” He grinned.

^

No comments: