Wednesday, January 05, 2022

The Naked Archaeologist and I

Thanks to Uri Gobey, who screen-snapped this picture and inquired if it was, indeed, me,


I can relate a tale.

I am acquainted with Simha Jacobovici, having first met him decades ago at a meeting of the World Union of Jewish Students at which, although not a student then, I attended. It was at Kiryat Moriah I recall.

Anyway, when he was producing this 2008 episode of his "Naked Archaeologist", he was on Emeq Refaim Street in Jerusalem and was talking about belief in hard-to-believe-in Biblical themes. I worked at the Begin Center and while out getting something (either a pizza or a book), I stopped to observe.

During a break, I stepped over to introduce myself and say hello. He remembered me and asked if he could film me while asking a question. I agreed.

He went on about the Refaim, mythical creatures for all intents and purposes, and then asked me at 5:45 if I believed that Og, King of Bashan, was nine cubits tall? (See Deutoronomy 3:11).


Luckily for me, I remembered that the exact quotation is:

his bedstead was a bedstead of iron;...nine cubits was the length thereof, and four cubits the breadth of it

and so, on the spur of the moment, and with a bit of cheeky wit, I answered,

or may he had a very big girlfriend?

 


 


That stumped him and almost brought out an on-camera laugh, I think.

^

3 comments:

L. King said...

Or, more likely, more than one. King sized beds are so named for a reason!

Very clever response btw. Kudos!

YMedad said...

Thanks

Joe in Australia said...

Yes, the Bible clearly says that it was his *bed* that was nine cubits in length. I think we often fail to recognise that Og lived at the start of the iron age, when the material was valuable and metal working skills were not yet so advanced. To have a piece of iron furniture (as opposed to, e.g., an iron sword) would have been very impressive; the sheer size of it would have only compounded that impression.