No, not the incident in Hebron last week but in London in 2005 and the judges found the security officers were blameless with no need to investigate further.
In their ruling the Strasbourg judges said the British authorities had taken appropriate steps after the shooting.
"The court found, overall, that it could not be said that the authorities had failed to ensure that those responsible for Mr de Menezes’s death had been held accountable," it said.
"The court noted that the facts of the case were undoubtedly tragic and the frustration of Mr de Menezes’ family at the absence of any individual prosecutions was understandable. "However, the decision not to prosecute any individual officer had not been due to any failings in the investigation or the State’s tolerance of or collusion in unlawful acts; rather, it had been due to the fact that, following a thorough investigation, a prosecutor had considered all the facts of the case and concluded that there had been insufficient evidence against any individual officer to prosecute in respect of any criminal offence."
...An Independent Police Complaints Commission (IPCC) report in 2006 said avoidable mistakes had contributed to the shooting of Mr de Menezes. It identified a number of possible criminal offences that might have been committed by officers involved, including murder and gross negligence. However, after examining the case the CPS announced that no individual should be charged.
...A Government spokesman said: "The Government considers the Strasbourg court has handed down the right judgment. "The facts of this case are tragic, but the Government considers that the court has upheld the important principle that individuals are only prosecuted where there is a realistic prospect of conviction."
To remind you:
Jean Charles de Menezes is shot dead by police on the London Underground after being mistaken for suicide bomber Hussain Osman in the wake of the July 21 attempted terror bombings, which comes just weeks after the 7/7 terror attack in London.
The de Menezes family accuses the Met of “getting away with murder” after the IPCC decides that 11 officers will not be punished over his death. The Met Police is fined £175,000 for breaching health and safety legislation.
(thanks to DME)
Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu spoke this evening (Thursday, 31 March 2016), with the father of the soldier involved in the Hebron incident, at the request of the soldier’s family.
The Prime Minister said to the soldier’s father:
"I heard your words and as the father of a soldier, I understand your distress. In recent months our soldiers have bravely and resolutely stood up in the face of terrorist attacks and murderers who set out to kill them. The soldiers are forced to make decisions in the field, in real time, under stress and conditions of uncertainty. This is not a simple reality and I’m sure that the investigation is taking the entirety of these circumstances into account. I am convinced that the investigation will be professional and fair towards your son.
I trust the IDF, the Chief of Staff and the investigation 100% and I think that you too should trust the commanders and the investigation. The people of Israel must remain united around the army because we have just one army and we have many great challenges ahead of us. I wanted to say this to you heart-to-heart. Everything you have to present – do so in the framework of the investigation, which is genuine, professional and fair. I ask you to understand this, that you not think for a moment that they will not conduct the most objective and fair investigation of your son. I ask that you pass this message to your entire family."